Wednesday 10 March 2010

Adams: The Surrey Strut is no more!

Chris Adams' latest interview on Surrey TV, posted a couple of days ago, is revealing for a few things he says. Apparently the winter programme is now over, and I cannot tell you how relieved I was to hear that they had "done a lot of fielding", I should hope so Grizz, the number of catches dropped in the last two seasons is nothing short of disgraceful!

Adams also went into his plan to bring in a firm of sports psychologists, a firm who counts Jeremy Snape, crickets foremost authority on the subject, among its staff. Adams said that the sessions would focus on the "unique opportunity to establish our own values" on the team, because of the high number of changes on and off the field over the last few months.

This is a good sign I think, he spoke of ensuring that all the players had an appreciation of what it means to be a Surrey player and to play for the club. Too often over the last few years have I had a feeling that players were just out in the middle going through the motions (not all, just some, but all too often). I should say I noticed a marked improvement on this front last season - credit must go to Adams for that.

One of the most memorable things he says though is that the Surrey Strut is a thing of the past, that swagger that the players were said to carry with them. I think this is as sure a sign yet of Adams moulding the team as he sees fit, and it'll be interesting to see if this bears fruit, I have my fingers firmly crossed in the hope that it does!

This is a crucial season for Adams, he's been given the cheque book to sign the players and personnel he wants, and he's had plenty of time to shape the team. If there isn't a marked improvement in results, actually make that a huge improvement in results (we're coming from a very low base here!), it'll have to go down as a failure.

No comments:

ShareThis