Sunday 24 January 2010

Tremlett poised for Surrey switch

More from the font of all cricket knowledge (apart from me), the Telegraph who have it that Chris Tremlett will move to Surrey on Monday.

Rod Bransgrove, the Hampshire chairman has said that a move 'might reinvigorate him', which seems to confirm that he's on his way out of Hampshire. It also says Tremlett has spoken to a couple of counties, so hopefully Surrey are top of the list for his services.

I really cannot stress how important it is that Surrey make this signing. It will add depth and quality to our pace attack, which we so badly need. Hopefully he can put his injury worries behind him and play plenty of cricket this season, he'd be a real handful for most county batsman - he'll even get wickets on the Oval pitch!

I would imagine this will be the last of Surrey's signings, apart from hopefully some overseas players for the T20 Cup. I genuinely believe we need an experienced opener to help Brown convert his 30s and 40s into hundreds, but I don't think it'll happen. They'll probably go with Harinath or Spriegel to open, which I do not think will bear much fruit. Not because I don't think they're good players, they are and they definitely have a future at Surrey, but I think Brown needs an experienced hand with him.

All in all, I can't complain about Surrey's antics in the transfer market, Davies, Batty, Chawla, Tremlett and Hamilton-Brown undoubtedly strengthen the side almost beyond recognition. Now its down to Adams and RHB to get the most out of this lot, and maybe promotion isn't out of the question!

No comments:

ShareThis